Re: The encoding 646 once again

>>>>> "Martin" == Martin Kahlert <martin.kahlert@infineon.com> writes:

Martin> So the only valid values on this system are these:
Martin> KOI8-R, UCS-4, UTF-7 and UTF-8. Nothing else.

Wow, that's surprisingly lame.

Martin> Why can't we alias 646 simply to UTF-8?

It isn't really correct.  I'm not overly concerned about the corner
cases though (the difference is that in theory with ASCII you should
get an error if you see a byte >0x7f, but with UTF-8 we'll try to
interpret it).

I think something like this would be fine, especially if it comes with
a big comment explaining why it is required (like the one in libgcj).
Do you want to try it?  I think it might suffice to fix
gcc/java/lex.c.

Longer term, consider installing Bruno Haible's libiconv.