Re: gcj-mingw is ready for inclusion in gcc 3.1

Anthony Green wrote:

>On Sun, 2002-03-10 at 06:15, Jeff Sturm wrote:
>
>>Figure out how to dllimport class data, static fields, vtables, etc.  That
>>could get ugly because the dllimport can't be done at link time
>>(as dllexport can).
>>

>The GCC docs only talk about dllimport/dllexport in the context of
>PowerPC NT.  Is this wrong?
>
>As I understand the dllimport attribute, it tells the compiler that
>references to data/code/etc need to go through an indirect pointer
>("__imp_"+symbolname).  Maybe we just assume all symbols are dllimport
>unless we can prove otherwise at compile time.

Right, presumably "dllimport"ing something does not cause it to not work
if that symbol is actually found within the same DLL.

I want to add a compiler option which tells it that a given
class/package/everything will end up in the same binary object. This
will help with binary compatibility optimizations, ie knowing when it is
safe to inline a method from another class, use direct field access
instead of offset indirection, etc. We can use the same flag to tell the
mingw back-end when to use "dllimport".

regards

Bryce.