Re: jar installation standards

Nic Ferrier wrote:
> It seems to me that we need two things:
>
> - an --extpath switch on the compiler (to choose the extension
>   directory(s) that should be used

Plus a (GNU-)standard default extension directory.

> - a jar management tool.

I think the latter isn't critical as long as we have the right
standards.

I suggest:

javadir = $(prefix)/share/java
javaextdir = $(prefix)/share/java-ext

The installation script for a GNU-compatible Java package PACKAGE
should install its jar file in $(javadir)/PACKAGE-VERSION.jar.  (If it
installs multiple jar files it can use other names besides PACKAGE.)
It may also (optionally) install a link in  $(extdir)/PACKAGE.jar,
but only if the pachage and version combo are considered more-or-less
stable and complete.  (Future installations may of course update
the symlink, and *may* remove older versions, if the installer
believes the older version is no longer needed.)
--
	--Per Bothner