RE: Reducing static binary size

I think there is ongoing work on reducing that.  See for example
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2002-01/msg00171.html .

If startup time is not critical, you can also try gzexe.  Based on some
small experiments, startup time is still significantly better than with
standard JVMs, but appreciably worse than with an uncompressed executable.
There may be security issues ...

Hans