Re: link problems under darwin5.2

Jeff Sturm wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Andreas Tobler wrote:
> > Do I probably have a defective ar?
>
> ISTR having a similar problem on another project.  Since ar could not
> preserve path information (does GNU?), it cannot correctly identify
> duplicate members. So it must always append new members to the archive.

Huh, don't know, but the man page says:
>>	Files are named in the archive by a single component, i.e., if a file
     referenced by a path containing a slash (``/'') is archived it will be
     named by the last component of that path.  When matching paths
listed on
     the command line against file names stored in the archive, only the last
     component of the path will be compared.
<<

So if I understand correctly in my case only the Attributes.o is taken
and not the whole path.

> Out of curiousity, what AR_FLAGS does ltconfig give you?  Look in
> <build-dir>/<target>/libjava/libtool.  Mine has:
>
> # The archiver.
> AR="ar"
> AR_FLAGS="cru"

# The archiver.
AR="ar"
AR_FLAGS="rc"

> This seems wrong since we never want to replace archive members.  Perhaps
> AR_FLAGS="qu" would be a better choice.  (You could experiment with that
> on your darwin build by altering your libtool script, removing libgcj.la
> and rebuilding.)

I'll give that a try!

Thanks,
Andreas