Re: status of gcj's boehm collector?

Adam Megacz wrote:

>"Boehm, Hans" <hans_boehm@hp.com> writes:
>
>>What kind of latency have you seen?  I'd actually love a few more
>>examples where the stop-the-world collector is clearly inadequate on
>>modern hardware.
>>

>My software employs a 2d layout/rendering engine vaguely similar to
>the guts of an HTML rendering engine (think Mozilla XUL). When you
>resize a window, it does some pretty intense computation to resize all
>the components of the window (think tables nested to a depth of around
>25). When "smooth resize" is turned on, and you rapidly resize the
>window, every once in a while you see a quite noticable pause (wild
>guess: ~200ms), which I'm fairly certain is GC.

There are some compile-time profiling options you can turn on in the
boehm-gc configuration - this should be able to tell you how often and
how long its spending collecting.

If you want to turn on incremental to see if it improves things it
shouldn't actually be too hard, and it might actually work as long as
your not trying to do I/O from more than one thread ;-)

regards

Bryce.