Re: libjava/defineclass.cc won't build on Solaris/sparc

Alexandre> The problem appears to be that INTERPRETER is not defined,
Alexandre> so the declaration of the global variable `character' is
Alexandre> omitted, but there are references to this variable outside
Alexandre> the #ifdef INTERPRETER.

Thanks.

Alexandre> I'm not sure whether it would be better to move the
Alexandre> functions that reference character into the ifdef, or to
Alexandre> move the declaration (and the initializer?) out of the
Alexandre> ifdef.

The functions have to stay outside the ifdef, as they are used by
Class.forName, which is not conditional.

This code looks a bit hackish to me.  We're sneaking around the class
initialization code by calling the method differently.  Yuck!  It
would be cleanest to simply delete `character' and change the method
calls to java::lang::Character::foo() -- they are all static calls
anyway.