Re: AWT classes

Adam Megacz wrote:

>Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:
>
>>That is not correct.  The libgcj is under the "libjava" or "libgcc" licence,
>>

>Hrm, so I just checked out LIBGCJ_LICENSE. Why was this chosen instead
>of the LGPL?

Because the LGPL puts restrictions on commercial developers that
we believe are undesirable, and would make libgcj uncompetitive.
Most seriously the "re-link" requirement does not seem practical
to satisfy for embedded systems - and embedded systems are a major
market for some gcj developers.  Even for regular computers the
re-link requirement adds extra complication that may be enough
to make GCJ uncompetitive, unless shared libraries are used, and many
application developers are nervous about shipping applications that
are dynamically linked because of possible versions mismatches or
missing libraries.

Note libgcj uses the same license as libstdc++.

    --Per