Re: javax.naming work (Classpath vs ClasspathX)

Mark> Actually the distinction is not about java.* vs javax.*. The GNU
Mark> Classpath project was setup to give us a set of free standard
Mark> java library classes.  So in principle all standards defined by
Mark> what Sun calls J2SE (Java 2 Standard Edition) will become part
Mark> of Classpath (some day). Whatever package they are in.

Ah, ok.  I misunderstood.

Mark> Which reminds me of the AWT discussion from a while back. Any
Mark> word on that?  (All the Classpath/libgcj awt work is copyrighted
Mark> by the FSF but it is distributed under different licenses which
Mark> makes merging impossible.)  Someone would contact RMS about it
Mark> but I never heard the result.

Richard asked me not to work on the libgcj AWT.  He thinks it is
important to support Transvirtual, since they are a free software
company.  And since they derive 100% of their revenue from relicensing
AWT, releasing the libgcj AWT would undercut (his word) them.

I haven't decided whether I will agree with his request.  I have some
problems with it: I think making decisions which favor one corporation
is a bad idea, plus I think this hurts libgcj (AWT is the most
important missing piece).

On the other hand, I rarely work on AWT anyway.