Re: GCC 3.0: "configure: error: libffi has not been ported to s390-linux-gnu."

On Aug 11, 2001, Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de> wrote:

> Is libffi a prerequisite for gcj?  In other words would libgcj work
> without libffi?

IIRC, yes, it would, but it wouldn't support the interpreter or JNI.
But please don't take my word for it.  Hopefully someone in the java
mailing list will know for sure.

> And therefore I fear we have to disable gcj completly for s390 until
> libffi is ported - but I don't know enough about gcj and therefore
> like to get some comments before sending a patch (I doubt that libffi
> will be ported in time for GCC 3.0.1).

Sounds reasonable.  It's quite likely that boehm-gc would also need
porting (unless it was already done), and perhaps even libjava itself
would need porting, so disabling libgcj entirely for 3.0.1 is probably
the best course of action.