Re: what is the state of awt in lingcj?

Per Bothner wrote:

> On the whole it seems that going with xlib is worth pursuing.
> Some things to keep in mind for (future) Gnome integration:
> * Being able to embed Gnome widgets in Java windows, both with
> and without Bonobo.
> * Being able to have Gnome objects write on canvases created
> by Java

JDK 1.3 (and 1.4 is better) define an API for doing that:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/awt/AWT_Native_Interface.html
Maybee it would be a good idea to follow it.

> * Perhaps implementing Java2D using Pango and other Gnome libraries.
> * If/when we get Java theming there should be a way to use Gnome
> themes.  When running under Gnome, the default Java theme should
> be the current Gnome theme.  Perhaps Ximian's "meta-theme" framework
> can help.  Or perhaps we will need to use Gnome widgets in some form.

Yes (but this mostly a Swing issue, I believe)

> But there are problems for later.  If we can get a workable AWT
> with most of the JDK1.1 functionality using the xlib peers (and
> it looks good so far), I think we should concentrate on that first.

Yes, that would be great!
Even without the AWT "widgets" it would be a great step forward!
(who uses awt widgets today anyway?)

Cedric