Re: Out of Memory! Returning NIL!

On Saturday, April 28, 2001, at 02:50  PM, David Brownell wrote:

> On the 36th test case, I see a message "Out of memory!  Returning NIL!"
> and a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError is thrown.  I'm just starting to
> figure out what's throwing it and why.  There doesn't seem to be an open
> PR about "Out of Memory" runtime errors, but some similar reports were
> on this list in January.
>
> Does this sound familiar to anyone?

That error usually means that something made a ridiculous allocation
request due to something being corrupted somewhere. Putting a breakpoint
on whatever is printing it and getting a backtrace ought to give some
insight into what is going on.

You didn't compile libgcj with "--enable-fast-character" did you? That
code is broken. Otherwise, natString.cc would be my prime suspect.

regards

   [ bryce ]