Re: ia64 libjava java-signal.h build failure

On Apr 23, 2001, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> Your approach is aggressive -- assume it works, and then disable it
> where it doesn't.  Mine is conservative -- assume it's broken, and
> enable it where it's known to work.

> In my my opinion, your approach is sensible for the mainline -- but
> mine is sensible for the branch.

Oh, BTW, Java has been enabled in mainline for a while, and I don't
recall having heard anyone complaining.

What you might be missing is that the conservative approach has
already been taken in configure.in: libgcj was disabled for all
systems except a few in which it was known to work.  IIRC, Java is
only disabled in the branch because, at some point, we had some
problem with it and it was decided that the best course of action was
to disable it temporarily, but that it was going to be re-enabled for
the final 3.0.  That's in fact the only reasonable thing to do, since,
according to the release criteria, not building a Java compiler would
be a regression.

I agree we don't have to build a Java library by default, but it's
already disabled on most platforms, except on those in which it is
known to work, or at least was known or suspected to work at some
point.

> You can rest assured that, based on my experience, if we were building
> a compiler for HP or Microsoft or some such -- instead of the FSF --
> we wouldn't be having this conversation.  Nothing like this would even
> be considered at this late a date.

Yep.  If we were building something for HP or Microsoft, we'd probably
never have disabled Java in the first place, given that a Java
compiler (not necessarily with an accompanying Java run-time) is part
of the contract.

> That means that we need to ship relatively quickly, or I will turn
> into a pumpkin

:-)

So, let's enable it now rather than next week, otherwise we'll need
one more week after we enable it.  This has been my point from the
beginning.