Re: ia64 libjava java-signal.h build failure

On Apr 20, 2001, Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> We are trying to avoid risk.  Your suggestion will create a broken
> tree for those people where it causes a problem.  Then, they will have
> to wait for us to fix the problem.

They can always disable the java language.

> I think the burden should be on the people who want the feature
> enabled by default.

Unfortunately, there's no way to do that with our current
language-enabling infrastructure.  Either a language is built by
default, and then its libraries may be enabled or disabled depending
on platform-specific directives in the top-level configure.in, or the
language is disabled by default, and then its libraries just won't be
built.

> It sounds like all we need is a one-line patch to the top-level
> configure, followed by the simple (but admittedly tedious) exercise of
> testing the patch on a variety of platforms.

Nope.  The patch we need is for gcc/java/config-lang.in, that enables
the Java compiler by default, and lets configure.in decide, on a
per-platform basis, whether to build the Java libraries.

> I think that someone
> with access to lots of machines could spend an hour kicking off all
> those tests and then go to sleep

That's precisely what I've been doing for the past two weeks, and I've
reported the results in gcc-testresults and in a message I posted in
this thread the other day.  Of all 15 platforms I test, only 2 had
problems building libjava.  It's certainly reasonable to have Java
enabled by default, so that we can tell libjava isn't ready on certain
platforms and have it disabled in the platform-specific way.  If we
keep java disabled by default, we just won't learn about it, and the
release will be broken for those who try to enable java.