Re: make bootstrap failure in libjava

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Tromey" <tromey@redhat.com>
To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
Cc: <java@gcc.gnu.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2001 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: make bootstrap failure in libjava

> Robert> knowing where to look saves a heap of time. I'll sumbit a
> Robert> patch, but as I know nothing about gcc's innards, you'll
> Robert> probably just want to use it as a list of the strcmps that
> Robert> need changing. I presume that in one of target files there is
> Robert> a #define for a filename compare function - do you know what
> Robert> that define is and I'll use it instead..
>
> Actually I don't think there is such a define.  Maybe there is and I
> simply don't know what it is.  Grepping for `strcase' didn't turn up
> anything very likely :-(
>
> There is some useful-looking code in protoize.c:
>
>     /* Macro to see if the path elements match.  */
>     #ifdef HAVE_DOS_BASED_FILE_SYSTEM
>     #define IS_SAME_PATH_CHAR(a,b) (TOUPPER (a) == TOUPPER (b))
>     #else
>     #define IS_SAME_PATH_CHAR(a,b) ((a) == (b))
>     #endif
>
>     /* Macro to see if the paths match.  */
>     #ifdef HAVE_DOS_BASED_FILE_SYSTEM
>     #define IS_SAME_PATH(a,b) (strcasecmp (a, b) == 0)
>     #else
>     #define IS_SAME_PATH(a,b) (strcmp (a, b) == 0)
>     #endif
>
> I think using this would be appropriate.  I have no idea if this code
> works or if it has rotted (I don't think protoize is really
> maintained).

I'm rolling my own - I can't see where DOS_BASED_FILE_SYSTEM comes from,
and the macros don't match the tests needed.

> I recommend finding the existing java PR that talks about this.  In it
> I pointed out a number of places that need changing.  Grepping in
> gcc/java for `strn?cmp' will get good results though; it is usually
> easy to tell which invocations need to be changed.

Ffunny thing, I have it open on my screen :] (After you mentioned it
existed).

> I think you can write a patch that would be suitable for inclusion.  I
> doubt this change will require real knowledge of any gcc internals.
>
> Good luck, and thanks for looking into this.  Unfortunately -- as you
> probably already know -- it is unlikely that this is the only issue
> preventing gcj from working on cygwin.

I'm sure that's the case :].

I could use another pointer ... I suspect the fault lies in the
automatic include generation code - can you point me to the right area
for where the includes are created? (I've found where they are written
to the temp file..)

Rob