Re: Query about Help Needed

Jim Schatzman wrote:

> For example, would it be helpful to have an FSF 100%-Java version
> of Java 2 extensions?  I would like to get involved but I need some

To answer your question other people on the mailing
list are more qualified than me, but I wanted to add
one or two notes to your question: it's sad but true that
open source projects often do similiar things in parallel
without finishing. Being more concrete, the project at

  http://oje.sourceforge.net

tries to implement these extensions. And of course there's

  http://www.classpath.org

Perhaps convincing and involving the author of the
'Open Java Extension' to move to gcj is a great goal?

Anyway, the gcj which ships with the gcc 3.0 snapshots are
quite nice these days (it's no pain to compile the jakarta
'ant' tool and compiling 'junit' is just fun) so I guess
it's the right time to begin with this kind of work.

Before starting to think about such an implementation, I
would definitively want to suggest to clear the wanted
packaging of such software. Bryce already mentioned that
the security package get's quite large. I guess the
extensions will be large, too. So the questions rise:
should the extensions be supplied in a separate package?
Should a gcj configurator (someone who does run the
configure script) be able to select from a set of packages?

One day a gcj compiled EJB container want to see the light.
It'll need jndi and rmi. So perhaps it makes sense to start
with the javax/naming and java.rmi and then with javax/ejb ;-)

Have fun,

Jörg