Re: gcj

Gary Mueller writes:

> I am not sure this is the right email group.  If not, please point
> me to the right group.

It's the right one.

> I have an ARM 7 processor and would like to use gcj.  I would like
> to "complie" java code and run it on the ARM 7 processor.  Is the
> ARM7 processor supported by gcj?

Gcj can be configured to generate arm code, either as a native or as a
cross compiler. This shouldn't be too hard to achieve. In order to run
application, you'll need a port of the run-time, which besides
building it with a toolchain that generates arm code, will require
some porting (GC, threading, files, signal -- I don't know what's the
minimal amount of work necessary to run Hello World.)

Here's a short discussion that took place recently on the topic of arm
support:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2001-01/threads.html#00600

The Java section of gcc's website feature a short `porting the gcj
runtime' section:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/java/docs.html

./A