Re: building on cygwin

Edgar Villanueva wrote:
> Has anyone been successful compiling and or running the tree on cygwin?

Check the list archives.  Some have been partly successful from time to
time.

> If so what is the correct build config?

I believe I used just "../configure --enable-languages=c++,java".

If you don't have them, you'll need Jon Beniston's libffi patches:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2001-01/msg00141.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2001-01/msg00147.html

Threads almost certainly won't work without some tweaks.  The boehm-gc
requires a shared (DLL) build for use with threads, although libjava
must be a static (.a) build.  The win32-threads.c hasn't been tested
extensively; I suggest trying posix-threads with the pthreads
compatibility library: http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/.  You
need a recent Cygwin with a thread-safe DLL (1.1.x probably).

I seem to remember having trouble with alloca() on cygwin, which is used
several places in libjava.  This could be a newlib issue; I'm not sure
which component is responsible for alloca().

Jeff