Re: do we need separate thread for FirstThread

Per Bothner wrote:
> The last I think is the killer argument, but the other ones
> are also worth noting.

Besides everything you said, core files from single-threaded apps might become
usable.

I'd like to know if the runtime could become self-initializing as well so that
startup could be as easy as invoking e.g. Hello::main(args).

> So what are the arguments in favor of
> starting a separate native thread?

The main thread doesn't do anything but watch the non-daemon thread count and
decide when to exit.  However I'd think that could be done in the thread cleanup
instead.

ISTR one reason for _Jv_ThreadWait was to support quick threads.  But I don't
know if that matters anymore; quick-threads was removed from the repository long
ago.

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@commerceone.com