Re: Another weird sparc solaris 2.8 compiler error

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> Nope, Gerald reported this recently too.Gerald, did you find a solution for
> this problem?

No, not a solution, but I tracked down the problem a bit:

   nunki[71]:~% cat x.s
         .global class
         class = dummy
   nunki[72]:~% as x.s
   as: "x.s", line 2: error: symbol "dummy" is used but not defined

> Maybe Sun's as doesn't like the class$ symbol for some reason. Can you
> try it with GNU as?

It is not a problem with the specific name as I originally thought, it's
just that this syntax per se seems to be a GNUism.

Which would be bug. Who exactly does generate this "class =" thingie?  Do
we really need it? And why had that worked before?

If I just remove that "class =" line, everything assembles fine (though
I'd be quite surprised would this be an acceptable solution).

Gerald