RE: Alpha vs. new ABI

Three comments:

1) I don't have measurements, but my intuition is that extra padding will
hurt performance measurably.  I suspect small arrays are important, and the
padding affects both cache utilization, and the amount of work the GC needs
to do with a given heap size.

2) The offsets change with my hash synchronization patch.  A pointer field
disappears from the array header (and from every other object).

3) I don't think I understand the reason for the alignment requirement here.
But I suspect that "maximal alignment" is going to eventually be 16 bytes on
a number of platforms.  (I think it already is for the Intel Pentium III+
SSE instructions and for Itanium long doubles.)  But this doesn't apply to
Java types.

Hans