GDB and V3 ABI

Tom Tromey wrote:

> I think there's been some discussion of this recently on the gdb list.
> Anyway I know the gdb hackers are aware of it, and hopefully they are
> taking care of it.

I submitted a patch for the demangling code in libiberty:

With this plus a recent cvs gdb, Java debugging seems to be working more
or less as well as it was under the old ABI.

> Java support in gdb is still only so-so, IMHO.  I still find it
> occasionally annoying to debug Java code.  For instance, you can't
> print a String from a C++ frame because you get "unknown type".
> That's been a bug for years now.

It would be cool to implement JVMDI using ptrace(), bfd, etc, maybe write
a DWARF2 interpreter in Java. I estimate that would require roughly the
same effort as fixing the bugs in gdb would ;-). This would not be as
portable as GDB is, though.

regards

  [ bryce ]