Status of gij with shared libraries?

I've gotten gij to work with a shared library by following instructions posted to the list back in April 2000.  These state that the shared library must be created with gcj -shared Foo.so Foo.class and that you cannot use libraries created with ld on the binaries produced by gcj -c (which I learned the hard way myself).

Are these instructions still correct?  They are the only instructions for using gij with shared libraries that I've managed to find.

Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> Running compiled code from gij shouldn't make it any slower - you can put your
> classes in a shared library and then use gij to run them. See libjava/NEWS for
> details about that.

Where do you find this file?  I just updated the libjava/NEWS in  tbe CVS tree  and got a file from last February, which doesn't have any details.

Thanks,

Barnet