Re: ObjC configured --with-objc-gc needs external Boehm gc

"Boehm, Hans" wrote:
> I can't think of any fundamental problems.  I suspect Objective C normally
> wants the collector built to recognize all interior pointers, where gcj
> builds it without that option, so that interior pointers are recognized only
> if they're on a stack.  This is currently a build time option, but that
> probably doesn't save very much anymore over making it a runtime option.

Hm, I don't remember - all-interior-ptrs are required for untyped memory
? The ObjC runtime uses typed allocation, so it might not require
all-interior-ptrs.

> Does Objective C normally use the collector with thread support?

I think that this is 50/50. The problem is that threading currently
slows down the runtime to some degree and therefore is often turned off
if threading is not required.

Personally I would really like to see a reuse of the gcc libgc, so that
no external lib is required.

Helge

--
SKYRIX Software AG  http://www.skyrix.com/