This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Java project.
Re: ObjC configured --with-objc-gc needs external Boehm gc
- To: "Boehm, Hans" <hans_boehm at hp dot com>
- Subject: Re: ObjC configured --with-objc-gc needs external Boehm gc
- From: Helge Hess <helge dot hess at skyrix dot com>
- Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 01:02:27 +0100
- Cc: 'Matthias Klose' <doko at cs dot tu-berlin dot de>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org,java-discuss at sources dot redhat dot com, ovidiu at cup dot hp dot com
- Organization: http://www.skyrix.com
- References: <140D21516EC2D3119EE700902787664401E3A836@hplex1.hpl.hp.com>
"Boehm, Hans" wrote:
> I can't think of any fundamental problems. I suspect Objective C normally
> wants the collector built to recognize all interior pointers, where gcj
> builds it without that option, so that interior pointers are recognized only
> if they're on a stack. This is currently a build time option, but that
> probably doesn't save very much anymore over making it a runtime option.
Hm, I don't remember - all-interior-ptrs are required for untyped memory
? The ObjC runtime uses typed allocation, so it might not require
> Does Objective C normally use the collector with thread support?
I think that this is 50/50. The problem is that threading currently
slows down the runtime to some degree and therefore is often turned off
if threading is not required.
Personally I would really like to see a reuse of the gcc libgc, so that
no external lib is required.
> There are probably also other issues with the build process. Tom Tromey can
> probably comment on those.
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Matthias Klose [mailto:email@example.com]
> > Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 2:07 PM
> > To: firstname.lastname@example.org
> > Cc: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
> > Subject: ObjC configured --with-objc-gc needs external Boehm gc
> > The Objective C runtime library enabled with garbage collection needs
> > an external Boehm gc collector beeing installed at compile time. Is it
> > possible to build the libobjcgc library with the Boehm gc that is
> > already used for gcj?
SKYRIX Software AG http://www.skyrix.com/
Join the team: http://www.skyrix.com/de/jobs/index.html