This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Java project.
Re: Args list too long
- To: Per Bothner <per at bothner dot com>
- Subject: Re: Args list too long
- From: Jeff Sturm <jsturm at detroit dot appnet dot com>
- Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:24:05 -0500 (EST)
- cc: "Bradley A. Smith" <yeldar at home dot com>, tromey at redhat dot com, java-discuss at sources dot redhat dot com
On 11 Jan 2001, Per Bothner wrote:
> I've been thinking we should add a mechanism to compile an entire
> package at once, to a single .o file.
You didn't mention `native' methods in your plan. The .cc sources must
still compile to distinct .o files, right?
> * Compile-time method resolution. If the compiler knows that
> it has all the classes in a package, then it knows all the overrides
> *and* all the call sites of any methods that have default
> accessibility (package-private). If a method is not overridden,
> it can be changed from virtual to non-virtual. It also becomes
> a candidate for inlining.
Except for the native methods, symbols with package-private scope could be
non-public in the object file. This would benefit platforms
(e.g. win32) which incur an extra cost for exported symbols.