Re: Args list too long

On 11 Jan 2001, Per Bothner wrote:
> I've been thinking we should add a mechanism to compile an entire
> package at once, to a single .o file.

You didn't mention `native' methods in your plan.  The .cc sources must
still compile to distinct .o files, right?

> * Compile-time method resolution.  If the compiler knows that
> it has all the classes in a package, then it knows all the overrides
> *and* all the call sites of any methods that have default
> accessibility (package-private).  If a method is not overridden,
> it can be changed from virtual to non-virtual.  It also becomes
> a candidate for inlining.

Except for the native methods, symbols with package-private scope could be
non-public in the object file.  This would benefit platforms
(e.g. win32) which incur an extra cost for exported symbols.

Jeff