Re: Initial profiling results (was: Re: -O2 loop problems)

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Bryce McKinlay wrote:

> > I'd love to know how to get at similar hardware event counters on x86.  I'm not
> > familiar with any free tools for that arch.  Since I can't do reasonable-cost
> > multithreaded profiling in software, I'm sticking with Iprobe on Alpha.
>
> Have you tried gprof with a recent glibc? I read a post where Andreas Jaeger
> claimed that it should work with threads now, but I havn't tried a profiled build
> recently.

If -finstrument-functions work in gcj you might want to try the profiler
in eazel-tools/profiler in the gnome cvs tree
(:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome). It is works with
threads and shared libraries, and does non-sampling profiling. It's not
perfect (it takes a lot of memory), but it works good enough for me to
profile Mozilla.

/ Alex