Re: Segment Register thread descriptor (was Re: Jv_AllocBytesChecked)

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Bryce> Could we just grab the entire linuxthreads sysdeps directory
> Bryce> and stick it in libjava to get its compare_and_swap definitions
> Bryce> and THREAD_SELF macros? Then we won't even need to worry about
> Bryce> writing special code for different architectures - at least for
> Bryce> linux platforms.
>
> The only concerns I have are licensing and divergence (== maintenance).

Maintainance shouldn't be much of a problem - I doubt that these things
change frequently. We'll need to change the i386 definition of
THREAD_SELF a little I think, but for most other platforms we won't. "cvs
import" can keep track of any local changes.

I assume that licensing concern means the LGPL vs GPL+Exception thing?
What will it take to resolve that - approval from the authors of these
files?

regards

  [ bryce ]