Re: Precise GC (was Re: cannot build libjava/gnu/gcj/xlib/natClip.cc)

Jeff Sturm wrote:

> We do occasionally have trouble with misbehaving threads.  If a thread becomes
> unresponsive, we invoke interrupt() first, then stop() if necessary.
>
> Too bad Thread.stop is deprecated by Sun, and libgcj doesn't implement it
> (contradicting the remark in Thread.java).  I consider this a serious flaw in
> Java.

I was thinking about this recently and concluded that we should implement
Thread.stop(). Clearly there are cases, particularly when you don't have direct
control over all the code being run, where you need to shut down some misbehaving
thread forcefully and interrupt() isn't good enough.

regards

  [ bryce ]