Re: Precise GC (was Re: cannot build libjava/gnu/gcj/xlib/natClip.cc)

Per Bothner wrote:
> > Method arguments are not explicitly registered by this scheme
> > either.  (And they could live in registers, for that matter.)
>
> Note that the method argument x is copied to the p structure.  After
> that only p.x is used, never x itself.

Before the "p.x = x" assignment, GC is unsafe, which fits with your explanation
of safe points.  Now I understand.  But this imposes significant constraints on
the thread system.

Conservative, non-copying GC sure seems like a good overall compromise.  In
theory it can go awry, but we'll sooner fail from network outages I'd think.

--
Jeff Sturm
jeff.sturm@commerceone.com