Re: cannot build libjava/gnu/gcj/xlib/natClip.cc

Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> writes:

> There's definitely an overhead.  I have a paper here describing work
> people (Rick Hudson, I think) did to make gcc emit tables so that
> precise, copying GC can work.  For some applications this overhead is
> attractive, though, I think.

I think the main reason you might want a precise GC (besides concern
about mis-identified pointers) is to implement a copying generational
GC.  Then you could also have a per-thread nursery, and avoid the
overhead of locking the heap each time you need to allocate an object.
I gather this can be a big deal, especially if you do multi-processing.

> Anyway, it is unlikely to happen since it is a lot of work.

At least not anythime soon.
--
	--Per Bothner