Re: Objective-C vs. gcj (was: Re: Newbie questions)

Jeff Sturm <jsturm@sigma6.com> writes:

> Back when the GCJ project first became public, I was a little curious
> why the C++ frontend was chosen for native integration, when Obj-C is
> available and much closer to Java in spirit (both languages rely heavily
> on runtime method dispatch, both have single-inheritance, etc.).  I
> strongly suspect the answer has mostly to do with the popularity of C++
> and relative obscurity of Obj-C, though there may be technical issues as
> well.

Using Obj-C never ocurred to us, and I suspect it wouldn't have made sense.
One reason is that Cygnus has never supported Obj-C in its products
(customers get it as an unsuuported freebie), or done noticable work on it,
so we didn't have in-house expertise.
--
	--Per Bothner