Re: Jv_AllocBytesChecked (Was: What is wrong with Vector?)

Hans> If you combine them orthogonally, you naturally end up with four
Hans> kinds of locks, where my current scheme gives you two.  In spite
Hans> of that, I believe that you could perhaps do it orthogonally.

Thanks.  I'm not overly concerned about doing this.  I just wondered
what the tradeoffs were.

Hans> I should look at this more.  My impression is that's hard to do,
Hans> because we don't have a second header word that we could point
Hans> at the stack allocated structure.

I think EF uses a single word, by having a bit or two reserved to
indicate state.  Then whatever extra info is needed is stashed on the
stack.

Hans> I also though that there was a Sun patent on some of this?

I honestly don't know.