Re: more build problems, sun sparc solaris 2.7

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 11:06:28PM -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:

> I believe the fix would be to pass an explicit `--encoding=UTF-8' to
> gcj in the libgcj Makefile.  We should probably do this regardless of
> what is going on with Mike, since that is the only way to ensure that
> the user's locale doesn't mess with the libgcj build.

Shouldn't there be a way to override the file encoding from inside the
file?  Over in C-land we've been kicking around the idea of

#pragma GCC charset "UTF-8"

as the first line of the file, and/or recognizing Mule magic comments.
[Naturally these have to be expressed in 7-bit ASCII.]  I don't know
what Java's equivalent of #pragma is, but there must be something...

zw