Re: static linking

>> gcj shouldn't need to do anything special to get the supc++ stuff,
>> it should all be put into libgcj.a, the same way it gets built into
>> libstdc++.

Alexandre> Methinks explicitly linking libstdc++ in should be enough.

We don't want to do this.  Java programs don't need all of libstdc++.

>> The best solution, I think, would be to make a compiler option that
>> allows you to do this more easily. eg
>> "--link=gnu.gcj.protocol.jar.Handler,gnu.gcj.protocol.http.Handler"
>> or something.

Alexandre> Good idea.

I agree.  Like Jeff says, we could do this by further hacking
jvgenmain.

One more idea is that we could identify the classes needed for proper
bootstrapping and ensure that those are always linked in, for instance
by referencing them from prims.cc.  Jeff, do you have this list?  I
don't have time this week to look at this, but if you had the list
handy I could make a patch.

Otherwise, could someone submit a PR for this stuff so it doesn't get
dropped?