Re: gcj & libgcj

Tom Tromey wrote:

> mark> Okay, took that stuff out of classpath, can't find libgcj.zip or
> mark> .gz or bz2 or any type of compression in the gcc install tree.
> mark> I just made the snapshot and it installed (configure, make, make
> mark> install) with what looked like no errors.  The last thing it did
> mark> was print a huge comment about using it.  Still says that it
> mark> can't find 'java.lang' package.
>
> The install file will only be libgcj.zip -- it isn't the compression
> but the archiving feature that we are using.
>
> Obviously `make install' for libgcj is failing in some way.
> I have no idea how though.
>
> What comment does it print about using it?  That doesn't sound
> familiar.
>
> Do you have libgcj.zip in your build tree?
> Try `make install-target-libjava' in your libgcj build tree.
>
> Tom

for the latest stable
from libgcj-build
../libgcj-2.95.1/configure --prefix=/home/user/gcc
 <okay>
make
  <fatal error from assembler : can't create .libs/allchblk.lo>
make install
   <error: "java:::lang:::System" has no friends, no public constructors>

for the snapshot, also from libgcj-build
../libgcj-snapshot-2000-08-16/configure --prefix=/home/user/gcc
  <okay>
make
  <okay>
make install-target-libjava
/bin/sh ../libgcj-snapshot-2000-08-16/mkinstalldirs /home/user/gcc
/home/user/gcc
    (only that one line)

make install
  <no libgcj.zip>
  (ending is like this)
Libraries have been installed in:
   /home/user/gcc/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/user/gcc/libgcj-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/boehm-gc'
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/user/gcc/libgcj-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/boehm-gc'