Re: Swing, AWT, et al.

Troy Wu <troy@cinema35.yi.org> writes:

> Is this the right place to begin a discussion on the implementation of
> Swing in the GCJ project, along with comments on GCJ's direction?

I think most of us would agree that we want an implemention of Swing
tha runs with Gcj, and I think we would be happy with a subset that
leaves out some of the gnarlier stuff not used by regular programmers.

If you're suggesting using your Swing-in-C++ implementation as the
core of a Swing implementation for libgcj, I think that may be very
worthwhile.  We could write Java classes with CNI native methods that
call your C++ implementation (though I suspect we might end up making
changes).  This might give us something useful fairly quickly.  It
also might give us something faster than Sun's implementation.

> Then, if developers would coalesce around the JFC, we could have a lot
> of application growth which would be inherently integrated (e.g., the
> Swing MVC pattern can nicely replace toolkits like QT & GTK).

Actually, I'd like a Swing that is built on to of Gtk.

You might be interested in http://www.JEmacs.net .
--
	--Per Bothner