Re: Done with Gcj? Send us a link or a story!

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, Matt Welsh wrote:

> Yeah - I'm done with GCJ - it's too unstable for me to use with complex
> multithreaded applications.
> This is a real shame because I feel that gcj could make a big impact on
> high-performance, open-source Java implementations. With all of the
> work on Java performance going into closed source systems (HotSpot, IBM's
> compilers, etc.) it's even more important that the academic and research
> community have access to an open, stable, high-performance Java environment.
> GCJ is a great system and the design is quite elegant. I'd love to be
> able to use it!

I would really like to get gcj working for my stuff so I can
play around with embedded Linux + Java on a MBX PPC motherboard.
The JVMs from Sun are never going to work in that sort
of environment.

> Any comments?

Just one, I feel your pain. I have not even been able to get
my Java project to compile with gcj! I am not trying to
rip on anyone, I am just saying that things always seem
to be broken. I have decided that my time would be better
spent writing tests that can be used to test gcj
compliance with the JLS. At large set of JLS tests
will really help to point out compiler problems and
make sure things stay fixed once they get fixed.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc