Re: Reducing footprint of libgcj?

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Per Bothner wrote:

> "Stéphane Doyon" <s.doyon@videotron.ca> writes:
>
> > My libgcj.so is about 1.5MB (stripped), plus libgcjgc and libzgcj...
> > We really do not have space for 2 more MB of shared libraries: 100-200K
> > might be more in the acceptable range. Are there any
> > simple compromises/sacrifices I could make to bring it down to that level?
>
> The first question:  Why are you using shared libraries on an
> embedded platform?  If you do static linking, the linker can throw

Well it depends on the number of executables we'll have. Granted this
number should be pretty small, and we can always make multi-purpose
programs (putting several unrelated programs into one). But even
when linking statically, Hello World is still 700-800KB.

But wait a munute... OK I managed to statically link libgcj and libgcjgc,
but leave libc dynamically linked (we already have to have a stripped
version of that anyway). Hello World is then about 400KB. Still big, but
much better. I'll have to see if it grows a lot when I start using more of
the API.

--
Stéphane Doyon
<s.doyon@videotron.ca>