Re: Array marking

Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> > ISTR you have a GC benchmark of some sort.
> > If you want to run it both ways (hacking out the array marker is
> > probably easy), that would be cool.
>
> I did that, and I got the bitmap-marking-descriptor stuff working.
> Together they seem to be worth some pretty serious performance gains -
> some of my gc tests are running 40 - 50% faster now, and ShellSort is now
> twice as fast as the IBM JDK (using --no-bounds-check).

That sounds great.  I've found that the IBM allocator is still a little
faster than Boehm's, but a real improvement in marking will certainly
help make up the difference.

I was wondering too if using GC_malloc_stubborn for known immutable
objects (e.g. java.lang.String) could help... or if that is mainly for
incremental mode?

--
Jeff Sturm
jsturm@sigma6.com