Re: installation problem

Bryce> This is a common problem on Solaris. It is caused by libtool,
Bryce> which doesn't support C++ static initializers on Solaris unless
Bryce> a) you are using the GNU linker, and b) you manage to convince
Bryce> libtool that you are in fact using the GNU linker (this is the
Bryce> hard part!).

Oops.  I thought (and I think Andrew thought) that this was the
"stupid" (referring to a phase of gcc -- not any of us :-) problem,
not the Solaris linker problem.

Bryce> Possible fixes to this problem in libgcj:

Bryce> 1. fix libtool

Long term this is probably what we'll do.  ... where "we" is Ossama
Othman <ossama@ece.uci.edu>, who is working on the multi-language
branch of libtool.

Short term, could we detect that gcc isn't using GNU ld and die in
configure?