Re: Speeding up method searches

Bryce> Right. Actually, it seems to me that the collector already
Bryce> doesn't consider the pointers in the intern table for marking,
Bryce> since it is allocated with _Jv_AllocBytes which is for
Bryce> "pointer-free" memory. However, there is nothing to remove a
Bryce> collected string from the hashtable, so we currently get
Bryce> "random" crashes when calling intern()[*].

Thanks.
What if we replace the hash table in natString.cc with a
java.util.Hashtable?

Does interning have to be very fast?  Would the added performance hit
of this approach be acceptable?