Re: Dynamic loading - solutions and more problems

Per wrote:
> > It isn't even clear to me (exactly) what it is supposed to do.
>
> Well, Anthony did add the generalization in November, so presumably
> he (or a client) saw a need for it.

I just made the existing code more general in anticipation of one day
allowing for the creation of executables with explicit references to
classes that will not be resolved at link time.

I finished the generalization work, but I think there's still more
work to do to achieve the final goal.  As far as I know, nobody is
working on that problem right now.  There was no real burning need at
the time - I was just on a long flight with an itch to hack.

The patch:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1999-11n/msg00252.html

My notes:
> This patch changes -fassume-compiled and -fno-assume-compiled
> slightly.  They continue to work as is, but now you can also use them
> like... -fassume-compiled=CLASSNAME or -fassume-compiled=PACKAGENAME.
> You can also combine them, so "-fassume-compiled
> -fno-assume-compiled=java.net -fassume-compiled=java.net.URL" means
> assume everything is compiled natively, except for java.net, except
> that java.net.URL _is_ compiled natively.
>
> This isn't really useful right now, but will be some day.

AG

--
Anthony Green                                                        Red Hat
                                                       Sunnyvale, California