Re: Awt implementation in libgcj?

Andrew Haley wrote:
> : Or is there another reason?  If the former, is there another way we
> : can do it, one which doesn't require a macro in cni.h?
>
> Probably.  But I don't understand the desire not to have a
> configurable cni.h.  What's the problem?

We get further from binary compatibility, for one thing.  The compiler
and runtime already must be built with the same thread model... the sjlj
exception model doubles the number of possible incompatible
configurations to four.  At some point users will want to install CNI
classes without recompiling.

JNI does a good job of masking implementation details.  I can compile a
JNI extension with one vendor's libraries and run it with another's, in
theory at least.

--
Jeff Sturm
jsturm@sigma6.com