From: Joerg Brunsmann [mailto:joerg.brunsmann@FernUni-Hagen.de]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 1999 8:36 AM
To: Tom Tromey
Cc: java-discuss@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: libgcj/117: _Jv_PthreadCheckMonitor test is not portable.

Tom Tromey wrote:

> My understanding is that this is a thread system and does not use
> native threads.  This is also not what we want.  (Maybe I'm wrong.
> The URL you give is hardly an easy way to find out...).

Sorry, for that:

  http://www.mozilla.org/docs/refList/refNSPR/

If I understand correctly the situation is as follows: if a native
thread library (like pthread) exists, a PRThread maps to a native
thread. If there's no native thread, they emulate threads.

> Anyway, having control over the thread layer is important to us, I
> think.  We want to be able to write new thread ports without having to
> mess around (with negotiations or forking other people's packages).

NSPR has been ported to over 20 OS. I don't know if they plan to port
NSPR to embedded systems. FWIW: Doesn't your argumentation apply to the
implementation of GC as well?

Kind regards,

Jörg