Re: GC statistics (was Re: big project ported)

Godmar Back <gback@cs.utah.edu> writes:

>   For most examples I worked with on an non-public project, it was
>   astonishing in how few cases the compiler would pick up possibilities
>   for stack allocation without performing this type of analysis.

It'd be nice if there was a tool to scan classes and determine how
much temporary object allocation is going on (like in the Java class
libraries) which could then be weighed against profiling information.

Of course writing such a tool would be %90 of the work in implementing
something like this.  Sounds like a fun research topic.

--
Tom Reilly
Allaire Corp.