Re: gcj -D

Mike Moreton <mike@pillim.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I believe that if Java is to become a general purpose programming language,
> it's going to need a pre-processor, and I'd prefer it to be a standard
> one, rather than each project inventing their own.

Most general purpose programming languages are *not* with pre-processors,
at least not standard.  In fact, I can't think of any common ones that
do, except C, C++, and Objective-C.  PL/I had pre-processing.  Some languages
(the Lisp family, Dylan) have macro processors, but they work at a higher
lever, and are less common.

Ada, Pascal, Eiffel, Modula-2, Modula-3, Chill, ML, ...
As far as I know, none of these have standard prc-processors.  A number
of these languages are used for embedded systems.
--
	--Per Bothner
bothner@pacbell.net  per@bothner.com   http://www.bothner.com/~per/