Trying to commpile source in jar and zip files

I'm trying to compile my project.  The project has been organized into
jar and zip files.  Anytime gcj looks something up in a zip or jar
file is complains that it is not a class file.

This confuses me because the documentation clearly states the the
input files can be .jar, .zip, .class, or .java files.

I must be missing something, but I don't know what.

I'm using RedHat Linux 6.0 and the GNUPro Toolkit 2.0.  I got the same
errors when I downloaded gcj 2.95.

Thanks,

--
--Michael