license question

On March 3rd, Tom Tromey wrote:

  It would probably be possible to compile Classpath stuff with gcj
  and link it into our runtime.  However, I doubt the two projects
  will merge.  Cygnus needs to be able to release the library in a
  form suitable for embedded customers (which the LGPL is not), and so
  needs more license control.

I'm guessing this is because Cygnus desires to release libgcj under
two licenses, LGPL for the general public and another license for
embedded customers.  If I understand correctly, this can only be done
if Cygnus owns the source.

Does this mean that software released using LGPL can't be used for
libgcj unless Cygnus owns the copyright?

The reason that I'm asking is because I'm trying to investigate all
the possible AWT solutions for libgcj.  So far these are the viable
options that I've read about in the archives:

1.  Use GTK+ heavyweight peers, which are cross platform and can take
    advantage of themes (http://gtk.themes.org/).  I think CLASSPATH
    is using this approach.

2.  Use Glib lightweight peers with an approach similar to Kaffe.

-Paul