Re: jc1 segfaults compiling volano

Andrew Haley <aph@pasanda.cygnus.co.uk> writes:
> Sigh.  I'm beginning to wonder if the bytecode compiler should just
> give up after failing to find a class.  After all, the compilation is
> bound to fail, so what's the point of trying to continue?  I know that
> the C++ and C compilers continue checking syntax and try to recover
> (sometimes successfully) but I don't know if it makes any sense to do
> so with a bytecode compiler.  Comments welcome.

Well, in some cases we should be able to continue safely:  Making a
call to a method in a missing class or referencing a field in a
missing class or both things we can do without having te actual
class.  We can also cast to or from a missing class (by letting
it always succeed).

It is not a very important "feature", but it is a nice "quality of
implementation" bonus.
--
	--Per Bothner
bothner@pacbell.net     http://home.pacbell.net/bothner/