Re: Per Bothner makes the big time

> So you're one of the nameless slaves who actually wrote most of TeX.

No; I helped *port* Metafont.  I wrote a large part of the 68k backend
of the Pascal compiler used to compile Metafont;  I wrote some routines
to display preview images;  I debugged the port, usually finding bugs
in the compiler or runtime, but sometimes in Metafont itself;  I did
various tasks to help the class get going.

Knuth definitely wrote most of the code himself, at least for
the Metafont re-write, for which I have pesonal knowledge.  However,
some of his students (such as Michael Plass and John Hobby) did work
on the algorithms used in TeX and Metafont.  He also did have a
programmer (David something) working for him at one point, but not
as I recall at the time of the Metafont re-write.

(I realize the question was meant as a joke, but I still thought it
best to clarify for the record.)

--
	--Per Bothner
bothner@pacbell.net     http://home.pacbell.net/bothner/